Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) And U Visas

The federal government has established two programs designed to help people who have been victims of violence seek protection in the United States. At Ramos Immigration Law, our attorneys believe that our clients and their families deserve to live safe, happy lives.

Violence Against Women Act: Legal Help For Spouses, Children And Parents Abused By US Citizens And Green Card Holders

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) has made it possible for immigrants who have been the victims of abuse at the hands of U.S. citizens and permanent residents to escape without having to fear leaving the country. We can help you or a loved one who has any of the following relationships to an abusive citizen or green card holder:

  • Spouse
  • Parent
  • Child under the age of 21 (up to 25 in certain circumstances)

We can help you prepare and submit Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er) or Special Immigrant, which is the form that must be used in VAWA cases. We will also make sure your application has the necessary documentation to show that you and/or your loved ones have been abused by your family member.

U Visas: Helping People Abroad Escape Violence In Their Home Countries

U.S. immigration law makes it possible for thousands of people to escape physical and emotional violence in their home countries and seek safety in the United States. Individuals who qualify for U visas include the victims of:

  • Rape
  • Sexual assault
  • Human trafficking
  • Abduction
  • Involuntary servitude
  • Domestic violence
  • Felonious assault

There are many other conditions that may qualify someone for a U visa. In order to qualify, a person must also have information about criminal activity and be willing to assist law enforcement in addressing it.

We help our clients gather the evidence and other documentation that is necessary to obtain a U visa, and properly fill out and submit Form I-918, Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status and accompanying applications. U visas are good for four years, and recipients are eligible to apply for permanent residence after three years. People in the U.S. on U visas are eligible to work.

Our firm also represents people who want to come to the U.S. to escape persecution in their home countries by applying for refugee status. We also help those who are already in the U.S. avoid deportation by seeking asylum so they can stay. Whether you or a loved one is already in the U.S. or abroad, we will find a way to help your family make a better life in America.

Call Or Email For A Confidential Consultation With A Lawyer | Hablamos Español

Our U visa attorneys can help you whether you are in Colorado or outside the state or country but have ties here. Email us now or call our Longmont or Aurora offices at 303-417-6370.