Immigration Law Is All About Family

Getting the green light on a green card renewal

On Behalf of | May 24, 2017 | Permanent Residency/Green Cards

Renewing a green card that is either already expired or about to expire can be a complex process, and it may not go as smoothly as you would hope. Even if you have already walked through the complicated paperwork before, every immigrant may benefit from the assistance of an attorney who can help them navigate the bureaucratic process.

You would be wise to take the necessary precautions to protect your right to live and work in the United States, and one of the ways you can do this is to secure legal guidance for the green card renewal process. An experienced Colorado lawyer may be able to help you avoid problems and deal with unexpected complications.

How and when to renew your green card

If your 10-year green card will expire in the next six months, you may wish to go ahead and begin the renewal process by either filing out the paper application or completing the online form. If you need to renew your green card in the near future, you may find the following information useful:

  • If you are outside of the United States but plan to return before your green card expires, you can begin the renewal process when you return.
  • If you are outside of the United States when the green card expires and you did not apply for renewal before your departure, you need to contact an appropriate immigration authority.
  • Conditional residents who wish to renew their green card must first apply to have the conditions removed from their permanent resident status.

These are just some of the many things you may need to know as you move forward with the renewal process. No two cases are the same, and it is useful to have experienced legal guidance in case you have questions or concerns about when and how to begin the renewal process.

What if your renewal application comes back denied?

It is incredibly frustrating when a renewal application comes back denied, but that is not the end of your options. While you cannot appeal a denial, you can take other steps to secure the renewal of your green card. You may be able to submit a motion to have your case reopened or reconsidered. If you are asking immigration to reopen your case, you must be able to present new documentation not included the first time.

If you are asking immigration to reconsider your case, you must present evidence that the law or original documentation was incorrectly applied or interpreted the first time. No matter what you are facing in your renewal process or what your immigration concerns may be, you have the right to a lawyer to help you fight for the best possible outcome to your situation.