Immigration Law Is All About Family

Coming to the United States for employment

On Behalf of | Apr 17, 2020 | Immigration Law

The United States offers an EB-3 permanent resident visa for some types of workers. Professionals, skilled workers and unskilled workers must have a full-time, permanent employment offer along with a labor certification. 

Learn more about eligibility for an EB-3 visa in these categories and how to apply. 


For an EB-3 visa, you must have an offer for a job that no qualified U.S. worker can fill. To apply as a professional, you must have an official baccalaureate degree from a United States institution or the equivalent from a foreign university. This degree must have relevance to the U.S. job offer you received. 

Skilled workers must have a combination of at least two years of college study, job training and/or job experience. Unskilled workers have job offers that require fewer than two years of experience. 

Workers who have special, unusual skills may qualify for an EB-1 or EB-2 visa. People who can apply through these programs have high-priority immigration status. 

Application process 

The process starts when the employer files immigration Form I-140 on your behalf. The company must prove that it has the resources to pay your promised wages throughout the immigration process. The form filing must include all requested documents and evidence. 

The filing fee for Form I-140 is $700. You can request faster service for a fee of $1,225. 

You and your employer will get a receipt from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services when your paperwork is complete. You will also receive a written decision once they review your documents. 

The EB-3 program has an annual limit. Applications may take from one to six years to receive a decision. 

Filing paperwork correctly will help ensure that your request gets the proper review. If you are not sure how to complete this paperwork or what type of visa program is right for you, you can ask for advice from an immigration attorney.