Immigration Law Is All About Family

Information About Family-Based Immigration

On Behalf of | May 15, 2020 | Family Immigration

There are many families that have been separated by immigration. Several efforts have been done with the intent to reunite these families and keep them together. It is highly important for immigrant families to know what procedures exist to bring relatives to live in the United States. Learning the definition of family-based migration and what types of visas there are will be beneficial for anyone who is trying to bring a family member into the country.

Family-based migration

The federal government has said that it is essential for a foreigner who is looking to live in the United States permanently to be the holder of an immigrant visa. For this to happen, the individual must be sponsored, and this could happen in various ways. One of which is through work, were the company can petition their employee, and another is through a family-member, who has already been naturalized or who happens to be a legal permanent resident (LPR). It is important to recognize that an LPR is a current ‘green card’ holder.

Types of family-based visas

USCIS has said that there are currently 2 types of visas laid out for family-based immigrants. They are known as visas for immediate relative and family preference. The first one can be given to family members that is not defined numerically. In other words, this applies exclusively to parents, spouses and children, and child of the spouse. It is important to consider that the last two categories must exclusively to children who are under 21 and unmarried.

The second category is made for more distant relatives. Such relatives would fall under the category of unmarried sons and daughters who are over the age of 21, spouses and their children who are under the age of 21, married children to US citizens, siblings of any adult US citizen, and unmarried adult children of an LPR.

Knowing this information is relevant for any immigrant who is trying to be reunited with their families in the United States. It is also important to note that any US citizen can file for their spouse, children, parent and/or siblings.