As an immigrant or new citizen to the U.S. there is much to learn. It can be exhausting trying to learn all that you need to know about a new city, a new culture and a new language. This blog post is aimed at helping you find resources that can make your transition here easier
Resources for immigrants and new citizens
Here are some of the organizations and resources that may prove useful to you as a new resident.
- The public library. While the pandemic has shut down many public libraries they do offer many helpful resources. There are many groups that meet at libraries and many libraries have groups for English conversation. Local newspapers, magazines and a wealth of digital and computer resources are available. A list of local libraries can be found at: nces.ed.gov
- The internet. You can find government agencies and resources at welcometousa.gov. The official website for U.S. Citizenship is www.uscis.gov.
- Contact your local department of motor vehicles to take the tests you need to obtain a driver’s license or ID card. More information here: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/faq-driver-license.
- You will need to file your tax return. There are city, state and federal taxes that may need to be filed. Taxes are filed with the Internal Revenue Service, or IRS.
- Get a social security number. A social security is necessary for certain government benefits and for identity. The website is www.socialsecurity.gov. You can also call 1-800-772-1213.
- In Denver you can call 311 to find out about city services, if you have a complaint or want to report a city-related problem such as graffiti or road damage.
- The full online Guide for New Immigrants is accessible to anyone.
- Temple University’s Project Shine has a program to help new immigrants with English and to understand cross-cultural understanding. There is an active program in Denver. More information can be found at www.projectshine.org.
There may also be groups of recent immigrants or new citizens which meet regularly in your area. Some neighborhoods have an online community website such as Nextdoor.com that connects residents to one another.
Get To Know People In Your Community
If you want to get to know people in your area, a church, synagogue, mosque, temple or other religious organization or community can be a good first place to go. You can also volunteer for a local organization or event to meet people in your area. The local YMCA is a good place to exercise, get childcare and meet people and other families. Of course, if you need legal representation or help with official documents and processes, a Colorado immigration attorney can offer this guidance and direction.