Immigration Law Is All About Family

What do you need to help your spouse immigrate?

On Behalf of | Oct 19, 2020 | Family Immigration

When you immigrate to the United States, your spouse may not always come with you. When your spouse is ready to join you in Colorado, you need to understand the procedures for spousal immigration.

One important aspect of spousal immigration is your own legal status. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you need to have either a Green Card or U.S. citizenship before your spouse immigrates. Your legal status determines which kind of paperwork you have to fill out.

When can a spouse join you?

Your spouse may not always have to stay abroad until the case is complete. If you have citizenship, your spouse may be able to join you while officials look over the case. You usually need to fill out additional paperwork in this situation.

What documents do you need?

You need to submit several types of documentation to complete your spouse’s visa application. If you have a Green Card, you will likely need to submit a copy of your Green Card, as well as a copy of your foreign passport. If you have citizenship, then you can submit a copy of your birth certificate or your passport. If you are a naturalized citizen, you may need to provide a copy of your naturalization certificate.

Additionally, you need to submit pictures of both yourself and your spouse. You should also provide a copy of your marriage certificate. If this is the second marriage for either you or your spouse, you may also need to submit documents demonstrating that your marriage is valid. This might be a certificate of divorce or annulment or a death certificate in some situations.