Immigration Law Is All About Family

What are the preference levels for family green cards?

On Behalf of | Nov 3, 2020 | Family Immigration

Whether you are a citizen of the United States or you have legal permanent residency in the U.S., you may have relatives who still live in other countries.

If you wish to have your family members join you in the U.S., you should know that there are different classifications of family green cards based on your relatives’ relation to you. Each classification is associated with a level of preference for issuing the green card.

Family green cards for U.S. citizens

As explained by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the first preference level for a family green card applies to non-married children of U.S. citizens. The children should be at least 21 years of age. This green card is the F1, referring to the first preference.

Married children of U.S. citizens may be eligible for a third preference, or F3, family green card. The fourth preference, F4, green card applies to siblings of U.S. citizens.

Family green cards for legal permanent residents

An F2A green card may be received by the husband or wife of legal permanent resident. The resident’s non-married sons or daughters who are under 21 may also apply for second preference A green cards.

A second preference B, or F2B, green card may be granted to a non-married child of a legal permanent resident.

This information is not intended to provide legal advice but is instead meant to give people in Colorado an understanding of which family members they may be able to bring to live with them in the United States under which level of green card.