Immigration Law Is All About Family

What may help me get an approval for a work and family visa?

On Behalf of | Nov 30, 2020 | Immigration Law

To receive an immigrant visa based on employment status requires you to have a job in the United States. Your new employer may need to first receive certification from the U.S. Department of Labor to hire you. Your family may then also apply to immigrate with you. 

If you have an “extraordinary ability” to perform certain types of work, you may belong to an E1 First Preference category. This may place you ahead of other visa applicants. According to the U.S. Department of State, certain types of immigrant workers may have priority over others because of their special skills. 

Three types of priority employees eligible for an E1 visa 

Individuals who received worldwide recognition for their skills may qualify for an employment First Preference E1 work visa. This includes professional athletes, musicians and scientists. If you have special experience in a particular field, you may use favorable news reports as proof. 

Business executives and managers who work for a U.S. company’s foreign office in their native country may also qualify for the E1 category. With at least one year of employment at the company, an applicant may file a petition to work in the U.S. 

The third E1 category includes researchers and tenured professors. You need at least three years of experience and international recognition in your field to apply to work for a U.S. company. 

Requirements for eligible employees to bring their families 

After your application’s approval based on your work experience and professional accomplishments, you may file a petition to bring your spouse and children with you. The process, however, requires you and your family to undergo a medical examination and receive all necessary vaccines.