Immigration Law Is All About Family

2 ways parents can help their children enter the United States

On Behalf of | Jul 21, 2023 | Family Immigration

Fit parents feel a deep sense of obligation to their children. Even when they have provided all of the basic necessities of life, they may still hope to give their children more than that so that their children will enjoy a higher standard of living and a happier future than what they have generally experienced.

One of the many ways that those with children offer their loved ones a brighter future is through immigration. Leaving behind a country with limited economic opportunity or a history of institutional discrimination against certain groups may benefit those who dream of a better future. There are generally two different ways in which parents can help facilitate their children’s lawful immigration to the United States.

Traveling together with a visa

When someone qualifies for a visa because they want to continue their education or develop their career, their closest family members often have the option of traveling with them. A parent who has children living in their household who are still under the age of 21 and unmarried can potentially secure visas for those children that allow them to travel and live with their parents, provided they can qualify for a visa.

Requesting a green card

The second way for a parent to help their child interview United States lawfully requires that the parent is either a permanent resident or a citizen of the United States. There are systems in place that allow the children of green card holders and citizens to request a green card.

The circumstances of the child and of the parent will influence a child’s eligibility. If the parent helping the child is a permanent resident, then typically only unmarried children will qualify for a green card. Children under the age of 21 will have a better chance of approval because they have higher priority consideration, but children of permanent residents who are over the age of 21 may qualify for a green card.

The only time that a parent can help a married child enter the United States is when the parent is a United States citizen. Otherwise, marriage will typically leave a child ineligible for a visa or green card when their parent is a visa holder or permanent resident.

A parent’s entry into the United States can potentially expand immigration opportunities for the children in a family. Learning more about different family-based immigration options may help those who want to give their children the best opportunities in life.