Ramos Immigration Law - Abogado de inmigración
Call now to schedule a consultation to discuss your case
Menu Contact
View Our Practice Areas

Visas Archives

Waivers may allow quicker re-entry after obtaining visa

One common reason people do not have legal status in the United States is because they have overstayed their visas. Visas expire, and on the date of expiration, if you are still in the country without receiving an extension or adjustment, the government will consider you unlawfully present. After 180 days, penalties begin to kick in.

How can a U visa impact your family?

As someone who entered the country through unconventional methods, you may face numerous anxieties on a daily basis. Issues that could seem negligible to a citizen or green card holder may seem insurmountable to you as an undocumented immigrant. Illness, injury or even crimes committed against you may leave you more fearful as the threat of deportation may loom if you choose to seek help. These fears may amplify even more if you have children you hope to protect.

Getting married in America: Fiancé visas and your rights

Individuals who are working toward bringing a fiancé to the United States may have serious concerns about how announcements and changes made by the new administration could affect this process. While it may seem more complicated than ever before, with the right legal assistance, you can secure the appropriate fiancé visa, bring your loved one home to Colorado and move forward with your wedding plans.

Should you apply for a K-1 fiancé(e) visa or marriage-based Visa?

When you're in love with a non-U.S. citizen, you have options for bringing them to the U.S. The fiancé(e) visa is a well-known option, but you can also consider marrying first then obtaining a marriage visa. Explore the pros and cons of each to decide what's right for you and your fiancé(e).

Completing the I-918 petition for a U Visa

In the United States, everyone has the right to be safe and live a life free from violence. In 2000, the U visa was put into place as part of the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act. It is meant to help protect non-U.S. citizens who have suffered abuse, sexual assault, involuntary servitude, human trafficking and other serious crimes.

Orlando victims and families could qualify for U visas

A coalition of Latino nonprofits is working to help victims of the Orlando shooting and their family members, including those who are undocumented immigrants. According to the latest updates, there were three victims in the shooting who were undocumented. Two were injured and are now recovering in the hospital, while the other person died in the attack.

If you wish to study in the U.S., you may need a student visa

According to the latest research from U.S. World and News Report, eight of the top 10 universities in the world are located in the United States. The quality of many public and private American universities is unquestionable. It is therefore of little wonder that many individuals who are not U.S. citizens wish to study in the United States. Many universities welcome and even seek out promising foreign students. It is important for any prospective non-American students to understand however, that U.S. laws require students to obtain certain legal documentation before they may study in the United States.

Victims of violence: You may qualify for a U visa

If you have suffered physical or mental abuse as a result of certain crimes either committed in the U.S. or crimes that violate U.S. laws, you may be eligible for a U visa. A U visa will allow you to remain in the United States as a "nonimmigrant." If you qualify for this visa and spend three continuous years in the U.S. after receiving it, you may be able to petition for status as a lawful permanent resident.

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.

Back To Top